Hydrating at the SAG stop.We finished!!
In fundraising news, I'm just around $1,500! This means I've raised about 35% of my goal, so I'm well on my way. Huge thanks to those donors who contributed over the past 2 weeks:
Alyssa was diagnosed with Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia (ALL) in August of 2007 when she was just 2 years old and has been battling it since. She loves fiery cheetos, Tinkerbell, princesses, Dora the Explorer, and the colors pink & purple. She also loves to sing and dance. In August of 2008, she suffered from a severe case of encephalitis and, as a result, lost her ability to see and also lost most of her ability to move the right side of her body. Encephalitis is caused by either bacteria or viruses that get into the body and localize in the brain, causing inflammation and swelling of the brain. It's very rare - only about 1,500 people in the US are affected every year. Despite all of this, Alyssa still loves to play with dolls, sing along to music, and smile and giggle like any young little girl. She has a long recovery road ahead of her but her family is very optimistic that she will conquer ALL. Her grandma, Cindy, is very involved with TNT and keeps the team updated about Alyssa’s status on a regular basis. Unfortunately, Alyssa is not doing so well right now - she was admitted to the hospital again due to complications with seizures. Please keep little Alyssa and all those battling blood cancers in your thoughts and prayers. It's stories like these that inspire and motivate me to keep running and raising money.
Alyssa's story has also inspired me to do more. On April 18th Santa Barbara is holding a registration drive for the National Marrow Donor Program (NMDP) and I've decided to register. Bone marrow transplant is a life-saving treatment for people with leukemia, lymphoma, and many other diseases. For a successful transplant, a marrow donor’s tissue type needs to match the patient’s as closely as possible. On any given day, more than 6,000 men, women, and children are searching the National Marrow Donor Program Registry for a life-saving donor. Only 30% will find a suitable donor within their family. The remaining 70% must find an unrelated donor with a matching tissue type. Although I may never be a match for someone, I can find no reason not to offer the gift of life to someone in need. I encourage you all to check out the NMDP website here for more info and to consider registering.
p.s. I put up a lot more pics, so check out older posts to see what I added!